Photo Courtesy www.fitday.com
How many of you have found yourself hitting a plateau? You know . . . you've been making great strides with your fitness goals, sticking to a routine that is working for you, losing weight, feeling better, adding lean muscle & sexy curves to your body & then BOOM! Everything stops changing. The number on the scale stopped moving . . . the momentum comes to a grinding halt! How frustrating is that?! Ohhhhhh very! But hey, don't lose hope, don't lose faith & whatever you do don't stop doing all the great things that have got you were you are today from where you once were. It's not that you are doing something wrong. Oh not at all princess. And it's not that you can't continue to make changes & improvements in hitting your health & fitness goals. If anything, what's happened is that you are doing such a kick butt job & have advanced into such a better & more optimal state of wellness from where you were "once upon a time ago," that your body has simply adapted. What you are doing is no longer a shock to your system & forcing it to adjust, change & "step it up" in an effort to keep up! So what are you to do? Well it's actually quite simple . . . you need to make some changes to what has become your routine. These changes don't necessarily have to be massive, life altering changes either. It may be as simple as adjusting calories, adjusting your nutrition timing or it may be that you need to switch up your exercise routine & replacing some of your favourite stand-by's with a few "new moves!"
So before giving up or engaging in destructive internal dialogue here are just a couple tips/ suggestions that could make a difference in getting things rolling again:
1. Increase your fibre intake. Fibre is one of your best friends in adjusting your diet to help lose excess body fat. So take a look at your daily food intake & make sure that fibre filled foods are on the menu.
Photo Courtesy Ive Erhard; www.unsplash.com
2. Are you being too strict with your diet? Yes, if you want to lose excess body fat it's necessary to eat within a caloric deficit. However, as your body changes & you lose weight, depending on what your specific goals are you may need to reassess your caloric intake . . . yeah, you may actually need to include a few more calories once you start to get into better shape, add some muscle & as a result increase your metabolic function.
Triblend Workout Tank; www.theworkoutprincess.com
3. Change your workout routine. Look we all have exercises that we love & those that we hate, however our bodies are very good at adapting so it is necessary to switch up your routine every few weeks & add in some new things.
Buck Furpees Workout Tank; www.theworkoutprincess.com
4. Are you increasing the intensity of your workouts? Change happens & continues to happen if we consistently increase the intensity of our workouts & push ourselves. It's great when you hit a goal & can do something that you either haven't done in a long time or have never been able to do! Congratulations! Now, push yourself past that & set a new goal.
Commit Workout Legging; www.theworkoutprincess.com
5. Are you getting enough sleep? Sleep patterns & lack of sleep can derail you. It's very hard to keep up with all the busy demands of life & take care of yourself to the best of your ability if you are not getting enough ZZZ's . . . so if this sounds like you, it may be worth establishing a nighttime routine that gets your mind & body prepped for quality restful night.
V-Strap Velvet Bralette; www.theworkoutprincess.com
by Tonya Fines . . . Mum, Nutrition Therapist, Lifestyle Blogger